What is VID Number?: As proposed by the Unique Identification Authority of India (also known as UIDAI) is a unique feature for the citizens of India. It will ensure the security of sensitive information and enable authorization of transactions through increased safekeeping of crucial data such as name, address, photographs instead of their Aadhaar number.
- What is meant by VID?
- The process of Generation of VID
- The Advantages of VID Generation
- The unique characteristics of VID
- Why does an individual need VID?
- Validity for VID
- Requirements for generation of VID
- Is VID safe?
- Legal Offences under VID
As per the UIDAI, VID is a unique 16 digit random number that users can use instead of the Aadhaar number. The full form of VID is Virtual Aadhaar ID. It is a digital ID; hence it can be regenerated by the users more than one time. The VID allows users to authenticate transactions and their KYC services using the VID Number instead of the Aadhaar number.
The Aadhaar Virtual ID can be generated via an OTP-based registered mobile authentication; therefore, the users must register their mobile number with the UIDAI database. As of June 1st, 2018, VID Registration has been made mandatory for applicants and agencies by the UIDAI.
Get the details on How to Correct or Update Aadhar Card?
The Steps to generate Aadhaar Virtual ID are listed below in detail:
- Step 1: Go to the official online portal or website of UIDAI.
- Step 2: Select the option’ Virtual ID Generator’ in the tab names’ Aadhaar services.’
- Step 3: The VID Generation page will open. Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number plus your security code.
- Step 4: Click on the option titled ‘Send OTP.’ Shortly, an OTP will be sent to the mobile number that the user registers.
- Step 5: Enter the OTP and click on the option ‘Generate VID or the ‘Retrieve VID’ option.
- Step 6: Click on the ‘Submit’ option.
- Step 7: If you have successfully registered, you will receive a verification message on the registered number containing a 16-digit Virtual ID in the form of an SMS.
There are various advantages of registering the VID policy under the UIDAI are mentioned below:
- The user will gain access to the type of data that is essential. Hence, they can be sure about only crucial data that is being scanned.
- The work-related KYC purpose is made relatively more manageable with the launch of the VID feature.
- The process of generating the Virtual Aadhaar ID is straightforward and can be completed online. The verification does not take more than a few minutes after the completion of registration.
- The ID is easy to access and secure.
- The most significant benefit is that you can use it instead of the Aadhaar number; hence it is very convenient.
- In the case of enjoying new insurance policies and to avail of Government subsidies, a user must register their VID with the UIDAI.
The unique characteristics are stated below:
- VID is a 16-digit number unique number that is randomly generated.
- Users can use the VID feature to download a replica of the user’s Aadhaar.
- The VID Number is secure, and no one can trace the Aadhaar information of any user from the VID without consent.
- No such Government or Private agencies or institutions can save the user’s VID number for future use.
- The VID number is revocable which means, it can be canceled at any time.
- The Generation Process requires an OTP that is shared only to the registered mobile number.
- Users can use it in place of the Aadhaar number for authentication.
- The VID is valid until the user generates a fresh VID via the UIDAI portal.
- The old ID deactivates automatically, and a new one can be generated anytime.
- The generation process of VID is entirely online and requires no money for its completion by users.
- As per the new rule, agencies cannot deny approval of VID instead of Aadhaar number of users for authentication and e-KYC procedure.
- The introduction of VID is advantageous since it helps avoid the misuse of its users’ sensitive information.
- The regeneration process of VID does not have a fixed limit. Hence it can be done as many times as needed.
The UIDAI had introduced the VID feature to enhance the security of user’s private data and Aadhaar details. In other words, it protects the details of a user’s Aadhaar card with a virtually generated 16-digit number. Malicious entities will be unable to access any user’s Aadhaar number. Therefore, preventing the misuse of the user’s Aadhaar information/ data.
Get To Know How To Write Indian Naming System, Name in Pan Card, Passport and Aadhar Card.
The validity period for VID is 24 hours. It can be regenerated via the official UIDAI portal any number of times by the user as per requirement at any time. The registration is free of cost and extremely easy.
- The applicant must have an updated Aadhaar Card with correct information.
- The mobile number registered with the UIDAI website must be in use.
- The information entered in the website must be original and free of errors.
- The user should first link their Aadhaar Card with the official UIDAI portal.
- A unique OTP will be sent to the mobile number linked with the website, and it needs to be entered to complete the VID registration process.
The use of VID is very safe for users since no one has any chance to trace personal information from a user’s Virtual Aadhaar ID.
The legal offense under the VID feature can result from altering the identity of an Aadhaar Cardholder or attempting to change the demographic or the biometric information of a user’s Aadhaar. Imprisonment of 3 years with an additional fine of Rs.10.000 will be charged from lawbreakers.