UAN Generation & PF Registration By Employer: UAN Activation Process
UAN Generation By Employer: UAN is otherwise called a Universal Account Number issued to employees who are contributing to EPF. UAN consists of 12 digits unique number which is generated and allotted to the employees by the officials of EPFO. The UAN number remains unchanged throughout the employees lifetime irrespective of the number of jobs he/she changes.
Whenever a person gets employed for the first time, it is the employer’s duty to get UAN generated for him/her from the EPFO portal. However, if the employee already has a UAN number and switches the job, the officials of EPFO allocate a new Member ID or Account ID linking to the existing UAN. On this page, we have provided all the necessary information on “How does an Employer link new Employee with UAN“. Read on to find out more.
To Whom Does Employer Generate UAN Number?
An employer will be able to generate the UAN number only for the person who is getting employed for the first time. So any individual who is joining or experiencing employment for the first time will be getting their UAN registered online by the employer.
How Does Employer Generate UAN Who Already Has UAN?
Any employer will not be able to generate UAN for the employee who already has the UAN numbers. However, when an employee switches the job, the officials of EPFO allocates a new member identification number or Account ID linking to the existing UAN number. For this, the employee will have to raise a request for a new member ID by submitting an existing UAN number to the employer. So that employer will get the new member ID generated and get it linked to the existing UAN number.
Note: Having 2 UAN Numbers is against the EPFO Rules. If you have two UAN numbers, you will have to deactivate 1 UAN number. Read our article on How To Merge Two UAN numbers online to get rid of two UAN numbers.
Documents Required By Employer For UAN Registration
The list of documents that are required to the employer to generate the UAN for new employees are given below:
- Personal Details
- PAN Card
- Aadhaar Card
- Bank Account Details
UAN Registration By Employer
As discussed above, the UAN number can be registered or generated for the person who is getting employed for the first time. The detailed UAN generation process by the employer are given below:
How To Generate UAN Number by Employer?
The steps to generate the UAN Number by the employer are given below:
- 1st Step: Visit the official website of EPFO Employer Portal – Click Here
- 2nd Step: Enter your Establishment ID and Password.
- 3rd Step: A new page will open. Here click on the “Member Section” and select “Register – Individual” from the drop-down menu.
- 4th Step: By default, the option will be chosen as “No” since it is UAN Registration for the first-time employee.
- 5th Step: Now the employer will have to enter the employee details such as “Name, Date of Birth, Gender, Nationality and other details” as shown in the image above.
- 6th Step: Click on “Next” and enter the employee “PAN, Aadhaar Card & Bank Details“.
- 7th Step: After entering all the details, the employer will have to validate and approve the data in the Approval section.
- 8th Step: A new UAN will be generated by the EPFO officials. Now the employer can link the PF account of an employee to the newly generated UAN Number with the help of the PF UAN Login Portal.
As soon as the UAN is generated, the employer can share the UAN details with the employee to whom the UAN is generated.
How UAN Member ID Is Generated By Employer?
If any employee switches his job, then he/she will have to get the new Member ID generated to link the same to the existing UAN. The process on how employer generates the UAN Member ID is given below:
- Employer will have to log in with the help of Establishment ID & Password in EPF Employer Portal.
- After logging in, click on the “Member Section” and select “Register Individual“.
- Now move to the “Previous Employment” section and select “Yes“.
- Here enter the existing UAN number of the employee.
- A list of details related to the employee will be displayed on the screen. Now the employer will have to check if the details are matching with the employee.
- If the details are matching, then the employer will have to provide the joining date of the employee and other details as requested in the portal.
- Now the employer can click on the Save button. Now the window asks for Confirmation and the employer will have to confirm the details once again.
- Soon after the confirmation, a new Member ID linking to the existing UAN number will be generated by the EPFO officials.
UAN Activation Process
Once the UAN number is shared with the employee by the employer, he/she will have to activate UAN and log in to the EPF account. The steps to activate the EPF account online are given below:
- Step 1: Visit the official website of EPFO – Click Here
- Step 2: On the homepage, click on “Our Services” and select “For Employers“.
- Step 3: Now click on the “Member UAN/Online services“. Refer to the image below:
- Step 4: A new page will open on the screen. Now enter the details such as UAN Number, PF member ID, and your Mobile number.
- Step 5: Solve the Captcha Code.
- Step 6: Click on the “Get authorization PIN” button.
- Step 7: A PIN will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Step 8: Check the “I Agree” checkbox under the disclaimer notice and enter the OTP you have received in the required field.
- Step 9: Click on “Validate OTP and Activate UAN“.
Soon you will receive the password to your registered mobile number. Now with the help of UAN ID & Password login to check your EPF Account activities & contributions made.
FAQs On How To Activate UAN By Employer
The frequently asked question on UAN Generation and PF registration by the employer are given below:
Q. How does an employer generate UAN number for new employee?
A. Any employer will be able to generate the UAN number for the new employee with the help of the EPFO Portal. Employer will have to log in with the Establishment ID & Password and click on “Register Individual” under Member Section to generate the UAN Number to the new employee.
Q. Can employee create a UAN number?
A. No employee cannot create a UAN number if they are not working in any organization.
Q. Should I pay money to the employer to create UAN Number?
A. No, you don’t have to pay money to create a UAN number on the EPFO portal.
Now that you are aware of the process on how does employer generates the UAN for the employees. If you have any questions on UAN Generation or Activation, reach us through the comment box below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.