Steps by Step Process to Apply for Import Export Code Online (IEC): Import Export Code is also known as IEC, is a 10 digit unique code that is assigned by the officials of the Director-General of Foreign Trade (DFGT) for the individuals who are involved in import or export products and services from other countries. Usually, the Import Export Code is assigned to individuals’ PAN numbers or organisations PAN numbers for the purpose of importing/exporting any product, good, or service, as well as to qualify for many Export Development Council or DGFT incentives.
To obtain an IEC Code, one must submit all the documents and follow the appropriate procedures so that the Indian government may verify one’s identity as a person or a business. In this article, let’s understand everything about how to apply for IEC code online. Read on to find more.
- What Are The Documents Required for IEC Code?
- How To Register for IEC (Import/Export Code) Online?
- IEC Registration Fees
- Sample Format of IEC Certificate
- FAQs on IEC Registration Process
Before getting into the details of the IEC online application process, one will have to keep the necessary documents handy to process the application form hassle-free. The documents required for applying Import-Export Code online are given below:
- A copy of a person’s PAN card or an organisations PAN card, or a company’s PAN card
- Voter ID or Aadhar card, or passport copy of an individual
- Cancelled cheque copies of individuals or firms current bank accounts
- Copy of the premise or a copy of the rental agreement, or a copy of the electric bill
- A self-addressed envelope for registered mail delivery of the IEC certificate
IEC Registration Steps: Import Export Code is a 14 step registration process, and the detailed step by step on how to register for IEC has been explained below:
Step 1: Visiting DFGT Website
- Visit the official website of the Directorate General of Foreign Trade – Click Here.
- The DFGT page will look like the following image.
- On the homepage, you will find so many options such as IEC FAQs, Apply for IEC, Update IEC, Link IEC and so on.
Step 2: Click on the button “Apply for IEC”
- On the homepage, move to the section “Register for your IEC“.
- Here you will find so many options such as “IEC Help & FAQs, Apply for IEC, Link Your IEC, Update IEC“.
- Click on “Apply for IEC“, as shown in the image below.
Step 3: Select Register Type
- As soon as you click on Apply for IEC, a new page will open.
- Here navigate to “Register“.
- Now click on “Register User As” and select the Register Type from any of the 4 options, such as:
- Certifying Authority – CA, CMA, CS, CE
- Technical Authorities
- Foreign Importer Exporter
Step 4: Enter Basic Details For IEC Registration Online Process
Now enter the basic details such as:
- First Name
- Last Name
- Email ID
- Mobile Number
Step 5: Request for OTP – One Time Password
- After entering the basic details, enter the Captcha Code as shown on the screen. If the Captcha Code is not visible, refresh the code.
- Now check the box which reads “By registering you agree to our terms & conditions“.
- Click on the “Send OTP” button.
Step 6: Verification of OTP for IEC Online Registration
- As soon you click on “Send OTP“, an OTP will be sent to your registered mobile number and Email ID.
- Now verify your basic details as displayed on the screen.
- Enter the OTP you have received to your Mobile Phone and Email ID, as shown in the image below.
- Click on “Register“
Step 7: Login into the IEC Dashboard
Once you click on the “Register” button, temporary login credentials will be sent to registered devices. Now login with the help of those credentials.
Once you’re logged in, go to your dashboard and update the new password.
Step 8: Apply for IEC
- As soon as you “Log in“, click on “My Dashboard” and select “Importer Exporter Code“.
- Now Click on “Apply for IEC“.
Step 9: Filling the IEC Application Form & Uploading Documents
- A new page will open. Click on “Start Fresh Application“.
- In the General Information section, fill in the blanks. A red asterisk (*) has been placed in front of all mandatory fields.
- Note the Draft will only be saved if all of the mandatory fields in the “Basic Details” and “Firm Address Details” sections are completed.
Fill in all of the relevant information for any Director, Proprietor, Partner, Karta, or Managing Trustee. All needed information, such as the PAN number and mobile number, must belong to the individual whose information you are filling out. Click “ADD” once you’ve filled out all of the appropriate options.
Upload necessary documents in the required fields.
Step 10: Enter Bank Details in IEC Registration Form
Enter Account Number, Account Holder Name, IFSC code, Bank Name, Branch Name, and evidence (Canceled Bank Cheque / Bank Passbook) in the Bank Account section.
- The Account Holder’s name must match the Firm’s name.
- The bank account information will be verified using the Public Financial Management System (PFMS).
Step 11: Declaration for IEC Registration
- In the “Other Details (Exports Sectors preferred)” section, fill in the boxes. Select the reason for applying for IEC or where this IEC will be used by answering the question “Why are you applying for IEC or where will this IEC be used?”
- Accept the terms and conditions by checking the box under-declaration and entering your address.
Step 12: IEC Digital Signature
- Check the Application Summary and then sign the application using a digital token or Aadhaar by clicking the Sign button.
Step 13: Process the IEC Payment
Confirm and complete the payment for the application. You will be transferred to the Payment Gateway for payment (Bharatkosh). The fee for applying for an IEC is Rs 500. After a successful payment, the user will be transferred to the DGFT website, where the receipt will be shown and can be downloaded.
If a payment fails, please wait an hour for the money to be reflected by the Payment Gateway (BharatKosh)
Step 14: Reviewing Successful IEC Application
The IEC Certificate will be sent to the user’s email address (as used when applying for IEC), and if necessary, the IEC Certificate can be downloaded by logging into the DGFT website and using the “Print Certificate” feature in the “Manage IEC” section.
The IEC must be communicated to CBIC, and the transmission status may be found by going to “My IEC” and looking at the “CBIC Transmission Status” on the IEC Status bar.
The import-export license registration fees is tabulated below:
|Import Export Fees for Aayaat Niryaat Form no. 2A||0|
|IEC Fees for Filing at DGFT||0|
|Professional Fees for IEC Code
|Govt. Fees for IEC Code
The sample format of the Import Export Code certificate will look like the following image.
What are the government fees for the IEC code in India?
According to the latest notification, the application fee for an IEC code is Rs 500, which can be paid online using e-wallets, Net Banking, Credit or Debit Cards. And the government or official fees for obtaining an IEC Code in India are Rs. 500.
What is IEC registration?
Import Export Code (IEC) is a 10-digit code used by businesses and individuals to import and export products and services. The DGFT (Director General of Foreign Trade), Ministry of Commerce and Industries, Government of India, issues this code.
Which DSC is required for the IEC code?
If you want to get an Import or Export License in India, you’ll need a Class 3 DSC. You’ll also need a class 3 DSC if you want to register the business or licence in the name of a single representative.