This Sentence Types – BCR CA Foundation Study Material is designed strictly as per the latest syllabus and exam pattern.
Sentence Types – BCR CA Foundation Study Material
Classify the following sentences as Simple, Compound, Complex, and Compound-Complex:
|The dog ran after the red ball.||Simple|
|The winter set in, it was cold and we took out woolens from the cupboard.||Compound|
|The thief ran away when he saw the police.||Complex|
|She is neither honest nor sincere.||Compound|
|Although it was raining, I left my house, as I had to attend an important meeting.||Compound
|Since we had only one plate, we had to take turns to eat our dinner.||Complex|
|The children like ice cream and cake.||Simple|
|The workers have done their job as promised, so we should give them credit and pay them accordingly.||Compound
|When the Chief guest arrived, the audience clapped heavily.||Complex|
|The boys are playing cards.||Simple|
|She wears a helmet whenever she is driving but the pillion rider is without a helmet.||Compound|
|After the hurricane hit, the city was completely destroyed.||Complex|
|Tina arrived late for the party.||Simple|
|Even though he was tired, Sam knew he had to win the race for his team, so he ran as fast as he could.||Compound
|The children ran up the hill to the church.||Simple|
Convert the following into Indirect Speech
- Tina said, “Nobody can solve the problem.”
- Rohan said, “Hurrah! I have won the race.”
- Rita says, “I can look after my children myself.”
- My uncle said, “Is your father at home?”
- The guest said, “It gives me great pleasure to be here this evening.”
- He said to me, “I saw a strange man at the beach.”
- She says to him, “You have done your job.”
- Everyone says, “He has cheated his friend.”
- The mother said, to the kids, “The sun rises in the East and sets in the West.”
- She said, “If I were you, I would teach him and help him out with his homework.”
- I said to her, “John arrived here yesterday but will go back tomorrow.”
- The boss said to the peon, “Go away.”
- The mother said to her boy, “Where have you been all afternoon?”
- Newton said, “I am trying to find a new home.”
- Shanaya said, “I have been practicing playing the violin.”
- He said to him, “Is not your name Akash?”
- She said, “Let us wait for the reward.”
- The manager said, “Bravo! you have done well.”
- “Do you suppose you know better than your own father?” jeered his angry mother.
- The teacher said, “ I do not wish to see any of you. Go away.”
- He said, “The horse died in the night.”
- The apprentice said, “I will work for you for 1 year.”
- The winner said, “I owe my success to my parents.”
- The historian said, “Akbar won the respect of all classes & races by his justice.”
- “Which is the correct way to answer this question mean ?” the student inquired.
- Tina said that nobody could solve the problem.
- Rohan exclaimed with joy that he had won the race.
- Rita said that she could look after her children herself.
- My uncle asked me if my father was at home.
- The guest said that it gave him great pleasure to be there that evening.
- He told me that he had seen a strange man at the beach.
- She tells him that he has done his job.
- Everyone says that he has cheated on his friend.
- The mother told the kids that the sun rises in the East and sets in the West.
- She said that if she were you, she would teach him and help him out with his homework.
- I told her that John had arrived there the day before, but would go back the next day.
- The boss ordered the peon to go away.
- The mother asked her boy where he had been all afternoon.
- Newton said that he was trying to find a new home.
- Shanaya said that she had been practicing playing the violin.
- He inquired whether his name was not Akash.
- She proposed that they should wait for the reward.
- The manager applauded him, saying that he had done well.
- His angry mother jeered & asked whether he supposed that he knew better than his own father.
- The teacher said that she did not wish to see any of them & ordered them to go away.
- He said that the horse had died in the night.
- The apprentice said that he would work for him for 1 year.
- The winner said that he owed his success to his parents.
- The historian said that Akbar won the respect of all classes & races by his justice.
- The student enquired his maam which was the correct way to answer that question.
Convert the following into Direct Speech:
- She requested Sam to wait there till she returned.
- She said that she would be playing at the concert next week.
- Anna said that she was going to the church the next day.
- The employee told the boss that he had posted the letter the day before.
- The student asked his teacher if he should email that application again.
- Lisa said that she might leave for Paris that day.
- He said that honesty is the best policy.
- The postman requested me to sign along the dotted line.
- The Chairman told the shareholders that their company’s profits had doubled that year.
- Father advised his son to work hard for success in life.
- The old man prayed to God to bless him with good health.
- The girl wished that she would be a princess.
- The Chief Guest said that he was pleased by the recitation.
- He replied that he had promised to reward his employees & he had kept his word.
- He said that we are all sinners.
- Aman said that he had seen that picture.
- I asked Monika if she would lend me a pen & a sheet of paper.
- The servant said that his master was working in the study.
- Aalia exclaimed that she was very smart.
- The receptionist requested the visitor to wait there till she returned.
- Sam said that though he had come, it was against his will.
- The traveler asked the farmer if he could tell him the way to the nearest motel, where he could have a good meal.
- Hasan said that he didn’t believe me.
- Sohrab urged them to be quiet & listen to his words.
- The master ordered his servant to go to the market & get him a bottle of wine.
- She said to Sam, “Please wait here till I return.”
- She said, “I will be playing at the concert, next week.”
- Anna said, “I am going to the church tomorrow.”
- The employee said to the boss, “I posted the letter yesterday.”
- The student asked his teacher, “Shall I email this application again?”
- Lisa said, “I may leave for Paris, today.”
- He said, “Honesty is the best policy.”
- The postman said to me, “Please sign along the dotted line.”
- The Chairman said to the shareholders, “Your company’s profits have doubled this year.”
- Father said to his son, “Work hard for success in life.”
- The old man said, “Oh God! Bless me with good health.”
- The girl said, “If I were a princess!”
- The chief guest said, “I am pleased by the recitation.”
- He replied, “I had promised to reward my employees & I have kept my word.”
- He said, “We are all sinners.”
- Aman said, “I have seen this picture.”
- I said to Monika, “Will you lend me a pen & a sheet of paper?”
- The servant said, “My master is working in the study.”
- Aalia said, “How smart I am!”
- The receptionist said to the visitor, “Please wait here till I return.”
- Sam said, “Though I have come, it is against my will.”
- The traveler said to the farmer, “Can you tell me the way to the nearest motel, where I can have a good meal?
- Hasan said to me, “I don’t believe you.”
- Sohrab said, “Be quiet and listen to my words.”
- “Go to the market and get me a bottle of wine,” said the master to his servant.
Rewrite the following sentences in Active Voice:
- The teacher was pleased with the boy’s work.
- An article was written by him for the magazine.
- He will be fined for breaking the rules by the police officer.
- May your pen be used by me?
- This lesson must be finished by you.
- Was the baby being fed by Neelam?
- Why was your servant being shouted at by you?
- My book has not been returned by her.
- The Chief Minister was welcomed by the crowd.
- Nick’s acting has been praised by critics.
- Was this picture painted by you?
- It will soon be forgotten.
- Street food should not be eaten.
- The entire city was destroyed by the hurricane.
- The meeting was postponed.
- The gate was opened by the servant.
- He was made the captain of the team.
- The stadium was thronged with spectators.
- The bulb was invented by Thomas Edison.
- By whom were you taught German?
- A speeding ticket will be given to you by the policeman.
- He was laughed at for his bad singing.
- The lamp-post was knocked down by the truck.
- Sohum was welcomed by his college friends at the reunion.
- The child was frightened by the noise.
- The boy’s work pleased the teacher.
- He wrote an article for the magazine.
- The police officer will fine him for breaking the rules.
- May I use your pen?
- You must finish this lesson.
- Was Neelam feeding the baby?
- Why were you shouting at your servant?
- She has not returned my book.
- The crowd welcomed the Chief Minister.
- The critics have praised Nick’s acting.
- Did you paint this picture?
- People will soon forget it.
- We should not eat street food.
- The hurricane destroyed the entire city.
- They postponed the meeting.
- The servant opened the gate.
- They made him the captain of the team.
- The spectators thronged the stadium.
- Thomas Edison invented the bulb.
- Who taught you, German?
- The policeman will give you a speeding ticket.
- They laughed at him for his bad singing.
- The truck knocked down the lamp-post.
- His college friends welcomed Sohum at the reunion.
- The noise frightened the child.
Rewrite the following sentences in Passive Voice:
- The students will welcome the guests.
- Lightning struck the museum.
- The doctor will have operated on the patient.
- We are going to watch a musical play tonight.
- He faxed his resume for the new job at the bank.
- Somebody stole my purse yesterday.
- We would save costs if we used fewer materials.
- Who has vandalized this shop?
- You cannot do this job.
- She had already heard the news.
- Had you seen the Gateway of India before?
- Newton invented the law of gravitation.
- This boy will help her cross the road.
- The child is plucking the roses in the garden.
- The victim was crying for help.
- My teacher praised me.
- The guard refused his admittance into the office.
- His mother loves him very much.
- Why did Mahesh write such a report?
- The Government is building monuments to mark the victory.
- His behavior puzzles me.
- The reporter gathered the facts about the incident.
- Mrs. Thomas teaches us grammar.
- People speak English all over the world.
- The stranger helped Ishan in locating the house.
- The guests will be welcomed by the students.
- The museum was struck by lightning.
- The patient will have been operated on by the doctor.
- A musical play is going to be watched by us tonight.
- His resume for the new job at the bank was faxed by him.
- My purse was stolen by somebody yesterday.
- Costs would be saved by us if we used fewer materials.
- By whom has this shop been vandalized?
- This job cannot be done by you.
- The news had already been heard by her.
- Had the Gateway of India been seen by you before?
- The law of gravitation was invented by Newton.
- She will be helped to cross the road by this boy.
- The roses in the garden are being plucked by the child.
- The cries for help were being made by the victim.
- I was praised by my teacher.
- He was refused admittance into the office by the guard.
- He is loved very much by his mother.
- Why was such a report written by Mahesh?
- A monument is being built by the Government to mark the victory.
- I am puzzled by his behavior.
- The facts about the incident were gathered by the reporter.
- We are taught grammar by Mrs. Thomas.
- English is spoken all over the world.
- Ishan was helped by the stranger in locating the house.