If You Did Not Respond To Communication Of Proposed Adjustment u/s 143(1)(a)

A General Overview Of What Happens When You Fail To Respond To Communication Of Proposed Adjustment u/s 143(1)(a): When you are served the notice of u/s 143(1)(a), it is a draft that seeks clarification. The clarification is asked, which rises due to a mismatch in the details given between your income and your deduction. When you are served this notice, you are given an allowance of 30 days to reply to this notice.

Such mismatches are pretty common in a few scenarios. Such a mismatch occurs when an employee fails to give correct information to his employer about his claims on deductions. In case he does not inform his employer and still goes on to make these claims, a mismatch between deduction and income occurs. In this case, the Income Tax Department ask for justifications in the form of proofs towards such claims of deductions.

You must make sure that you give a proper reply within 30 days. After this period, you will not be able to reply as the link for the proceeding of such a request closes.

What Might Happen Next If You Fail To Respond To Communication Of Proposed Adjustment u/s 143(1)(a)

A communication notice is sent to the taxpayer. Under this notice, an adjustment is asked to be made between income and deduction or the various exemptions. You can expect from the Income Tax Department that they will give you another notice or email, where they might ask you to pay a certain extra taxable amount over which they raised the demand. You can either agree to this opportunity, or you can reject it. But it cannot be told to you for sure that the Income Tax Department will give such an option to you. This is the scenario if you get a notice served under section 143(1).

If you get a notice served under section 139(9), then it means that you have a defective return. There are quite some errors that you might have made. You could have filed the wrong ITR form, or you could have also claimed an incorrect refund without mentioning your appropriate amount of income. You can get notice served under this section if you have failed to pay your entire due amount of tax. You can also get this notice served if your PAN card and the name you have given on the form do not match. In such cases, you must correct all the mistakes and e-file your return again.

If you did not respond to Communication of proposed adjustment

Updating Your Contact Details (Mobile Number And Email Id) To Receive All The Details Of Communication Of Income Tax

The Income Tax department uses your contact details to relate to you all the necessary information you might need. These details include all the information regarding e-filing, taxation and so on.

If you think that you have not received any communication from the Income Tax Department due to reasons like you gave a wrong mobile number or failed to put in the proper email id, you can check the status of it regularly.

What you have to do is simple. Visit the sanctioned website of the income tax department. Go to your account and look in the section of e-filed returns or e-filed forms. You can set up your email id and contact details easily here.

You can decide to fill in either primary details, or secondary details, or both. The Income Tax department uses these details provided by you to contact you and send you alerts or notifications. The primary contact you provide is essential because the One Time Passwords (OTPs) will only be sent to that number.

If you are not filing for yourself but for someone else, then you should give the contact details of the one actually managing the account as the primary contact. For example, if the account is created for your wife and the person handling it, it should be your contact details filled in the primary contact section. In case of secondary contact, though, you can provide your wife’s contact details.

Steps To Be Followed To Update Your Contact Details (Mobile Number And Email Id) In The Official Website

There are a few steps that you should follow to keep your contact details updated. These are:

  1. Go to the official website of the Income Tax department of India.
  2. You have to log in to the website with the details of your account. Provide your user id and password. Also, give your date of birth in the allotted space.
  3. From the menu, go to the section named Profile Settings. From this drop-down menu, go to the section called My Profile.
  4. After you go to your profile, you will see that there are three options given. These will be Address, PAN details, and Contact details. You have to choose Contact details.
  5. In that section, you will find the phone number and email id that you have already given. Use the option named Edit to make all the required changes and then save it.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *